Thursday, 28 February 2013

In which I read through February


February was a vintage month for books. The best run I’ve had in a long, long time. Any of these are thoroughly worth picking up.


6. Title: The Handmaid’s Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood
Recommended by: @photogirl_uk as the first book of the London Book Club, bought as a second-hand copy from Amazon
Read: 7 – 13 Feb
Set in a dystopian, totalitarian, theocratic future, where women are subjugated, reduced to nothing more than their fertility. Beautifully, beautifully crafted; engaging; and chilling. Brilliant. Highly deserving of its literary prize nominations / awards.
Score: 10/10


7. Title: The Last Girlfriend on Earth
Author: Simon Rich
Recommended by: @meganjgibson after I said I loved his New Yorker pieces, and bought from Amazon
Read: 13 – 15 Feb
Just superb, quite frankly. A collection of short sketches on the theme of love. If you don’t kill yourself laughing at Unprotected, the life and times of a condom, you don’t have a sense of humour. Glorious.
Score: 10/10



8. Title: The Mist in the Mirror
Author: Susan Hill
Recommended by: Given to me by @owlsandflowers as a birthday present
Read: 16 – 23 Feb 
Being an enormous wuss, this ghost story something I’d ever have picked up for myself, but the person I got it from has an excellent track record with book recommendations, so who was I to argue? It’s by Susan Hill, so the writing is predictably brilliant and eerie and evocative and sends you straight back to Gothic England. The length of time it took me to read this belies the fact it’s quite a skinny little thing, and whilst it isn’t quite as spine-chillingly terrifying as her better-know Woman in Black, it’s still plenty scary that I refused to read it before I went to sleep.
Score: 8/10


9. Title: I Feel Bad About My Neck
Author: Nora Ephron
Recommended by: everyone when it was announced Ephron had died. A Christmas present from Ma Blonde.
Read: 23 - 27 Feb

“Never marry a man you wouldn’t want to be divorced from.”

“If only one third of your clothes are mistakes, you’re ahead of the game.”

“Everything is copy.”

I can’t begin to tell you how utterly brilliant this book is. I think I might just start to live my life by it, word for gloriously chosen word. Buy it, read it for yourself. Love it.
Score: 10/10

5 comments:

exoticmaypole.com said...

Oh you are good with your reading! Isn't that Nora Ephron book wonderful? For some reason I ended up reading large chunks of it out loud to myself in the bath, in the voice of a New York Jewish grandma.

I enjoyed the Fleet Street Fox book, but other than that I'm still gently trolling through The 100 Year Old Man Who... which is quite good fun.

Blonde said...

It's BRILLIANT. And it works out loud wonderfully, which so many books don't in the same way. FSF is next on the list, funnily enough. I tried 100 Year Old Man, but just didn't get on with it and gave up halfway through.

Kat said...

Yeah, if I hadn't kept putting it down and then picking it up on the Tube I would have given up too. I really like the increasingly bonkers backstory from his past though, it's so well-thought out. I'm far too lazy to find out about how exactly nuclear fission works, let alone how to blow up an Iranian prison! Not a favourite by any means, but as a pleasant way of passing the time it's doing the job.

Anonymous said...

Not certain how else to send this but in case you didn't see this, thought you might be interested in reading this, given the identity of its author.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/magazine/47-hour-train-ride.html?hp

jman

Blonde said...

Kat: Maybe that was the problem - I just didn't read it in the right way. Ho hum. Onto better things!

Jman: Oooh, thank you very much - I'd not seen that. Saved to the Pocket for later reading.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space