Wednesday, 20 February 2013

In which I prefer being made to wait


“It’s going to cause the breakdown of society as we know it.”

That was The Writer’s entirely unmelodramatic assessment of House of Cards, the new political drama series that premiered on Netflix earlier this month, as we had supper one night recently.

His statement was premised on the fact that by releasing entire ‘box sets’ (I use the term loosely, given there’s no actual anything that comes inside a box) at once, the social aspect of television has been removed leading to an eventuality in which we’ll all stop talking to each other, and never ever leaving the house because between Waitrose deliveries and endless episodes of Breaking Bad, well, why would you need to?

I can see what he’s getting at. By releasing the whole lot at once, there are no defined times when the drama pauses, when audiences can collect to discuss and dissect, no ‘water cooler’ moments to be had. There are no enforced weeks between episodes where you can sit and stew and idly speculate about what might come next – or, if you’re TW, posit something that turns out to be bang on the money, meaning you’ve ruined the ending for your viewing partner. (I swear if he pulls that crap with Breaking Bad, I just might leave him.) Instead we’re left like unsupervised children with an entire bag of white mice, able to binge on as many as we can fit in before we feel slightly nauseous and in need of a run around in the fresh air (although some people do seem to be wholeheartedly in favour of this form of television consumption).

And that’s before we get to the sticky issue of spoilers. It used to be that if you missed an episode of Spooks, you avoided TV review pages and various bits of the internet until you’d had a chance to catch up on the episode. But once a series is out in its entirety, you don’t know which journalist, blogger or person you follow on Twitter who’s retweeting someone else entirely has forfeited a weekend in order to plough through the entire series in a single sitting. Now, there’s no telling where an enormous clanger might crop up, ruining with a single sentence the entire story arc of a series and the hours you’ve lovingly put in to watching.

Yet, for all that, I think TW is wrong on this one.

Yes, this disruptive model is new and a bit different – just like the advent of multiple channels was new and a bit different back in the day. As were the ‘plus one’ channels. As was the ability to pause and rewind live telly; or record an entire series on Sky. But I don’t think we’re seeing the death of television as a social event – because social television survived all those things and it’ll survive this.

Whilst some channels and services like Netflix might opt for binge-release, others won’t – and those who focus on making so-called “destination TV” might be inspired to raise the quality of what they’re producing in the hope that it draws in audiences in increasing number. You’ve only got to look at Homeland (the first series – the second was disappointingly average) or Africa to see that people want to be involved somehow, whether that’s tweeting along, or discussing it afterwards.

Personally, I’m far more nostalgic for that very particular kind of sublime agony that comes with being made to wait to find out what happens next. From unexploded bombs in chest cavities (Gods above, I love Grey’s Anatomy) to the possible death of the President at the end of the first series of The West Wing, there’s nothing that quite compares to the delayed gratification of a bloody good cliffhanger. Because it’s all very well knowing exactly what happens after Walt cooks his first perfect batch of blue meth, but there’s nothing like hearing Ross say “Rachel”, not “Emily” to get you screaming at the telly.

6 comments:

em said...

Ooooh, I am so torn. The Boy and I have shows we love to watch, and in a world where we see little of each other they're 'our time' even if they are recorded and watched another day. And I love the 'why did that happens' and the 'I can't wait for next week' discussions that came with Homelands (although, yes, we did download the US episodes!)

But, then there are the exceptions to that rule. Such as when I forget about TrueBlood for a few weeks and have 4 episodes to watch back to back and can get totally engrossed in it at 7am on a saturday before the world is awake and oh when it stops I just want more more more!

RAF Brynolf said...

Thank you for reminding me of that Ross says "Rachel" moment. I wish Friends was on Netflix.

I loved being able to watch an episode of House of Cards a day, and I'm REALLY excited about Arrested Development's fourth series debuting on there (Kristen Wiig plays a young Lucille!). However,I have really missed the Twitter-along during an episode (though I have paid more attention to what's happening on the screen), as well as reading reviews and the weekly dissections by friends and critics I admire.

Blonde said...

Em: I know what you mean - it's horses for courses. But I do think there's an added element of enjoyment when you can't watch an entire series at once.

RAF: Maybe Netflix assumes we've had our fill from E4 over the years. It can only be a matter of time, though, surely...?!

Northern Lass said...

Brilliant post!
I like to think that box-sets will follow the lead set by books and we'll all be in box-set clubs this time next year eagerly waiting to get our over-analysing disections muscles a good flex.

I just about managed it with a group of friends over The Wire and Game of Thrones. I'm in the market for a new fix so will have to check out House of Cards.

Completely agree that Homeland S2 was disappointing. Carrie's constant gurning was quite distracting.

OwlsandFlowers said...

They have been debating the death of the schedule for almost a decade now, but despite technology's attempts to chip away at it, it doesn't quite happen.

I truly believe that human's social nature means that the is a little bit of us that desires the collective but geographically disparate holding of breath. I listen to the Archers podcasts daily, but the best is the Twitter stream during a Sunday morning omnibus.

I am ancient enough to remember the British House of Cards and that was amazing to hear people talking about it at work, on trains, in cafes and in the pub on a Friday night positively fizzing with excitement about the next episode. It was the same for 'Who shot, JR?', the rape episode of the Forsyte Saga and Grace's death in the Archers before that.

Even last night at the Brits, there was a wonderful community of young fans and ageing 30somethings moaning that made it unmissable TV. I truly believe the second screen is the saviour of the schedules, even if the BBC is looking to trial online all at once series.

Anonymous said...

I drop a leave a response when I like a article
on a site or I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.

Usually it is triggered by the passion communicated in the post
I browsed. And on this article "In which I prefer being made to wait".

I was moved enough to write a leave a responsea response ;-) I
do have 2 questions for you if you usually do not
mind. Could it be only me or does it look as if like some of these remarks look
as if they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at other sites, I'd like to follow you. Would you make a list every one of all your shared sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile? surehub.com, http://freunde.grosslercher.com/index.php?option=com_easygb&Itemid=27
Also see my web site > surehub.com

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space