Friday, 11 May 2012

In which some people are in a different league

In a couple of weeks, I’ll have completed a feat I thought impossible; a thing that was outwith my power to achieve; something that Only Other People Do. Because, for the first time in *mumble* God, about ten years *mumble*, I will have played the part of a functioning adult participating in a functioning relationship, and been – exceptionally happily – with The Writer for one whole, utterly brilliant year.

Given that lasting, loving and drama-free relationships haven’t been part of my milieu for far longer than is probably normal for an adult at this stage in their life, this man and my relationship with him is, to me, A Big Deal. The day itself will, I anticipate, involve presents and plans (and, if I’m too-much-informationally honest, lots of bloody brilliant sex).

So when an email came through from TW the other day entitled “Anniversary Weekend,” I was gently excited.

Until I read its content.

Have you already booked what we have to do on the Sunday morning?

Had I booked it, he asked, because, as became clear, that morning TW had been asked to go on a press trip to Munich for the Champions’ League final, which – I understand from people in the know – is (if you’re into that sort of thing) quite a big deal.

I have, I said, my heart sinking slowly into my stomach at the same time as the desire welled in me not to be the girlfriend that gets stroppy about cool work trips. But I’m sure it can be rearranged if necessary. Do you not want to go?

A bit of back and forth later, including my summoning of cucumber-like cool and his feigning (I assume) indifference about how important footballing things like this are to men, the matter was settled.

We will have many more anniversaries – but this is our first one, and I want to spend it with you. As such have turned it down and we’ll send someone else. Sunday plans (secret surprise, presents, etc) still on. x

“You didn’t need to do that, you know,” I said as we wandered through Soho later that evening.

“I know I didn’t need to. I wanted to,” he replied. “Frankly, I would have been hurt if you weren’t disappointed that I might miss our first anniversary.”

“There are some incredible cynics, though,” I said as we made a quick detour into Liberty on our way to dinner. “Someone said that you did it because you knew the reaction I’d have when actually it’s not much of a sacrifice to miss a game that’s going to be terrible anyway.”

TW looked at me amid the John Smedley jumpers. “Tsk, I couldn’t possibly…”

And then he said something that previously hadn’t occurred.

“And, well, it’s not like it’s not an annual thing.”

I looked at him, eyebrows raised.

“You know this – we had to go to that Champions League final party thing on our second date.”

I cast my mind back to vague memories of lots of wine, and nearly being run over with Ronnie Wood.

“I was never going to miss our first anniversary – but our fifth or sixth? Well that’s a different story...”

I’m beside myself that we’ve got to our first, and that we get to spend it together. If there’s a few trophies in our future, so be it.

10 comments:

Redbookish said...

Awwwwwww, that's lovely! Thanks for posting. And have a wonderful weekend.

Blonde said...

Red: Ah, thanks. Worryingly smug, I realise. Ooops.

Brennig said...

Blonde, a little bit of smugness is a good, good thing. And also deserved.

Helen said...

Ah congrats my lovely! Can't believe it's been a year already.

And I think you're allowed to be a bit smug x

Blonde said...

Helen: Thank you, love. Neither can I. Has gone so quickly. x

Martin said...

Congratulations! And kudos to TW for making the right decision, clearly a keeper. Boo to the cynics.

Blonde said...

Martin: Thank you very much, very kind. (And, er, I think so...)

Redbookish said...

Not smug at all, Blonde. Just lovely. And I also appreciate that you haven't stopped blogging. Lots of blogs seem to be about heartache and singledom -- well, there's a lot of it about -- but it's great you keep forging on. Now you just have to persuade TW to start blogging as well!

Unless he already does and my cybersleuth skills are non-existent, because I haven't even tried to find it out. Ah, these are the niceties of cyber-manners.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Have to agree with Redbookish, it is really lovely to read a blog about a relationship going well for a change. And even nicer to be able to write it, I bet :) Congrats on the one year anniversary! And keep up the good egg behaviour, TW.

Blonde said...

Red: Phew. Am conscious that I might come across as vile. And TW doesn't blog, but he does write...

PDEWYMO: Double phew. And it is kinda nice to write. I sort of feel that it's karma giving me a break, y'know?! And ta v much. xx

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space