Monday, 9 January 2012

In which I have an inappropriate crush

It was whilst reading a recent interview with Sir David Attenborough that I discovered the national treasure and everyone’s favourite surrogate Grandpa is actually a bit of a dirty old man who admits to thinking “ungrandfatherly” thoughts about 19 year-old girls, and enjoys being chatted up by 18 year-old girls on flights.

Well, hurrah for that.

Because whilst it’s all very well to think of Sir Dave as nothing more than a warm ‘n’ cuddly penguin botherer, my feelings towards him aren’t entirely familial. Because whilst I might be a little older these days than his ideal long-haul travel companion, I still have what might be defined as something of an inappropriate crush on the god of natural history telly.

And apparently, I’m not alone. Tweeting my thoughts about being chatted up by Sir D, I was cheered to find that he is by no means the most inappropriate crush out there, with other women admitting to a whole host of wrinklies. I’m absolutely not judging – frankly, how could I? – but it did give pause for thought that there are people out there who feel downright dirty things about Sir Patrick Moore. Ditto Lord Robert Winston (yes, Redhead: I’m looking at you). (Although, having looked at that little list again, maybe it’s just that we’re all suckers for a title?)

I don’t know what it is about Attenborough that makes him quite so appealing. Given he’s rather in his twilight years, I imagine it’s his immense intellect and talent, and the recently discovered eye-twinkle, rather than any perception of washboard abs (although if I had to pick one over another, intellect would win any day).

My other slightly odd crushes are much along the same lines: what I wouldn’t do for a cup of coffee with the luvverly Hugo Rifkind you could fit on the back of a stamp. And the less said about Bill Nighy the better.

Of course, not everyone is on board with the high esteem in which I hold Dave – or, more accurately, the reasons for it.

I must express some consternation, The Writer emailed, at the nature of your admiration for Sir Attenborough. It has brought our watching Frozen Planet (and subsequent, less television friendly activities) under new scrutiny.x

Oops. Busted.

18 comments:

LUCEWOMAN said...

It's Michael Palin for me, over any buff youngster.

Anonymous said...

He wouldn't have minded being chatted up? Damn...
But there is nothing inappropriate about it, he is a fox. Then again, I have a whole host of age-inappropriate crushes including *mumbles and looks at the floor* Dawkins.
Sylvia

Blonde said...

Lucewoman: Oooh, good call.

Sylvia: Richard, or Charles?

Anonymous said...

Richard. I think it's the twinkly eyes and disparaging looks.

Sylvia

nuttycow said...

John Humphrys.

I'll get my coat.

Brennig said...

Moo, really? There's hope for me yet, then!
:)

misslizsarab said...

Clint Eastwood - it's all about the attitude!

Nutty, have to say i do like the Humphreys voice, makes my morning ablutions go much faster

Blonde said...

Nutty: Fair play.

Lizsara: I can see that...

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Sorry, I can't go older than Pierce Brosnan.

Blonde said...

PDEWYMO: Pierce. Good call. Controversial, but I like him as Bond.

Mud said...

Ian Hislop

(I know. So wrong.)

nuttycow said...

Mud - wrong wrong wrong wrong. He's too short for a start! PDEWYMO - nice. Lizsara - can't see it, sorry. He's too... weathered.

Aled said...

Not *old*, but probably inappropriate/misguided nonetheless. Clare Balding. I know.

On the right subject though, I have met Honor Blackman who, sad to say, was very old. I was expecting her to still be 'sexy', but unfortunately she was just an elderly lady. That sorted any inappropriate crush I may have had on her.

Foodycat said...

Not inappropriately old, but David Mitchell. Clever, funny, witty. What's not to love?

Amy said...

Does Liam Neeson count as "old"? He's 60 this year, that's almost three times my age. I'm going to say he's a bit of an old, weird crush.

To be honest, anyone who can argue and/or speak intelligently is likely to become the object of my affections, no matter how strange they are or look.

Blonde said...

Mud: Interesting. If it comes to a battle, I'll let you have him...

Aled: Well, it depends if you've a laminated list of people you're actually allowed to have a crack at. Cos she's using up a space there, really.

Foodycat: Ooh, unusual. But I can see the appeal.

Amy: He is *quite* old... But with you on the intelligence.

Sarah said...

Great post! Enjoyable and fun! For me, it has to be David Bowie, Jeremy Paxman and Robert Redford. Blonde - intellect -blonde... Not many others spring to mind.

Blonde said...

Sarah - thanks! Bowie you can have, but you might be on to something with Paxo. Again, it's the brains. Maybe WBT (wrinkly but twinkly) could be the new MILF. Er, as it were.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space