Wednesday, 4 January 2012

In which I am made up

It was on the train one morning before Christmas that I ran into The Cynic, on his way into a London office on secondment from his normal lawyering location.

How we got onto the subject now escapes me, this being some weeks ago and my having downed several hundred cubic metres of Pa Blonde’s margaritas in the meantime, but not very long into the journey, TC launched himself into a vociferous rant.

“I,” he said fervently, “am waging a one-man war against make-up.”

I looked at him, blinking out from underneath lashings of pigment, eyeliner and mascara, a smattering of foundation and a little lip gloss.

“I know I’m up against some pretty big corporations, and given that I can’t even get my wife to do it, I’m probably facing a losing battle. But it’s all this…” He completed an exceptionally accurate mime of a woman doing early-morning battle with the eyelash curlers.

I must have appeared utterly horrified because his next comment appeared an attempt to soothe somewhat.

“Look, it’s not that we don’t notice that you’re all beautifully made up – it’s that we think you’re beautiful without it.” Gosh, what a well-trained chap.

Warming to a theme, he went on to suggest that women everywhere should collectively boycott all make-up for a day: we might realise, he argued, that no one would recoil in horror at our unmade-up faces, and we’d all save ourselves a fortune in both time and money.

I’m sure, to men, TC’s argument is a crystalline example of inexorable logic. But as good an argument as he makes, I remain unconvinced.

I’m a big make-up fan. The bag I own is definitely nowhere near bulging as, say, Best Mate’s – I don’t own hundreds of different types of everything in a million different colours, myriad brushes to do very precise things, or products that only the lovely types in MAC would be able to identify, let alone apply. But I am a devotee. There are certain products that I fell in love with, back in the mists of time, and haven’t strayed from since. I prefer the way I look when I’m wearing it, and the ritual of putting it on in the morning is something I actually quite enjoy.

I would never go into work without the stuff on – as ridiculous as it might sound, I think that it belies a certain level of professionalism to wear make-up to work. You don’t need to go all Joan Collins on the situation, but a little mascara suggests that you have a) the levels of organisation required to wake up in time to put it on before you get into the office (public application of make up has already been dealt with) and b) you take the thing seriously enough not to turn up looking like a slob.

As I get older and more confident, I’m happier to wear less of it than I used to be. Back in the day, I didn’t like leaving the house in anything less than a full face of slap. The week at University that I contracted conjunctivitis from my grotty Californian flatmate (remember her, long-time readers? Jeez. What a trainwreck) saw me attend precisely no lectures being, as I was, unable to wear eye make-up.

It’s now not unheard of for me to head out at the weekends or on days off, bearing nothing more than a little mascara and some tinted moisturiser. And yes, the time and effort saved is great, and no small children seem to have keeled over, eyes bleeding at the sight of my pale face and indistinguishable features.

But it’ll take a bit more convincing for me to give up the slap entirely, convincing mimes of eyelash curlers by fellow commuters notwithstanding.

6 comments:

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

I've definitely gone down a scale on the make up front as I've got older. I'm now a devotee of make up which doesn't look like you're wearing make up. But more than what it looks like and conceals or enhances (a losing battle most mornings, to be honest), I think I just like the routine of putting it on. It's me time. Just me and my FACE.

James said...

Less is more girls, less is more. Those who are just beautiful are beautiful anyway :)

The best when you can't tell if she is wearing any of not.

Martin said...

I'm definitely a fan of the less-is-more approach, nothing less attractive than makeup that looks like it's been put on by a plasterer.

I think my general objection to (noticeable) makeup is that a mask is a mask, regardless of how it's affixed to the face. There's something unsettling about not being able to see someone's "real" face.

I've known people in the past who leap out of bed early to put on "their face" before their boyfriend/husband wakes up, and those who do the same before going down to the pool while on holiday. That properly baffles me.

nuttycow said...

I'm in the less is more camp as well (as both Jo and Blonde will attest). I wear tinted moisturiser, some eyeshadow and some mascara. Sometimes, when I'm going out, I'll splash out on some eyeliner. I just don't think it suits me somehow (plus, to be fair, I don't think much can make a difference to my mug!)

However, I do have endless admiration for those of you who can do make up well (looks at Jo and Blonde)

Cat said...

I wear makeup most days, not a massive amount, (although I am partial to a red lip) and just see it as a better version of my naked face as opposed to a mask. I'm in utter awe of women who feel so attractive they don't need to bother, but also would hedge my bets that there are few who wouldn't be a tiny bit improved by a sweep of mascara or a slick of lipgloss.

Zstep said...

But James, not everyone is beautiful...

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space