Thursday, 4 August 2011

In which it's Darwinism but not as we know it

Recently, I wrote a post about online dating, which touched on the fact that one is now able, if one so chooses, to select a mate based on a starting point of a specific characteristic – be it religious; country-loving; or what someone wears to work.

Niche enough, one might think. But there’s always one, isn’t there? There’s always someone who thinks it’s a good idea to take the bonkers notion, and run with it, to take it to its entirely illogical conclusion – not just one step further, but a whole marathon away from the starting line.  This person also apparently isn’t in contact with anyone who’s brave enough to say for the love of all that is sane, dear God, STOP!

That’s the only conclusion I’ve come to on making the entirely barking discovery that a sperm bank has been set up allowing women to select their donor based on – wait for it – not intellectual ability; not looks; or shoe size (all of which, I think, are probably sitting at the top of a rather slippery slope in terms of medical ethics as it is) but: dress sense.

(Before anyone leaps to wild theories, no – I am in no way in the market for an anonymous sperm donor. But GQ does have a far more varied selection of articles online than one might expect.)

I’m hoping to high Heaven it’s merely a PR ploy for the clinic. Because, much as I love a guy in a suit and a pair of decent brogues (and I do – oh how I do), I’d like to think I’d want rather more out of a potential father for my children than just the ability to find Savile Row.

But then again, maybe it’s a case of beggars can’t be choosers, and one day I’ll be thoroughly glad that I can select a sperm sample knowing its owner didn’t have a penchant for ‘funny’ t-shirts.

Suddenly the idea of selecting someone based on their intelligence doesn’t seem so bad after all.

7 comments:

Gin Operated said...

There's a certain horrible logic to it, though, isn't there? If you think about the traditional way one selects a sperm donor - ok, traditionally life partner - then intelligence is reasonably important, looks do feature, and actually, dress probably plays a part in willingness to have the initial conversation.

If that's all so important when deciding whether or not to go on a date with someone, I guess it isn't too unreasonable to care about it when you're going to have babies with(out) them.

It just becomes all a bit gruesome when you take the romance out! x

nuttycow said...

GO has a point - if we're making assumptions about the suitability of a sperm donor based on intelligence, then why not how they dress? I guess the theory is that men of a certain intelligence/social standing/upbringing will dress in a certain way.

modelofamodernmajorgeneral said...

Brogues? Seriously?

I hope many potential donors are weeded out solely on the basis of wearing brogues, especially in a good suit....

Blonde said...

GO and NC: Oof. I suppose if we're taking stuff to its literal conclusions, then... yes, that probably works. Shudder.

MOMMG: Yup, seriously. Brogues are classics, and far preferable to a lot of the bizarre creations men seem to think are acceptable footwear these days, no?

modelofamodernmajorgeneral said...

Highly polished Oxfords, preferably with a decent amount of 'bull' on the toecap. Standards are not negotiable....

modelofamodernmajorgeneral said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
modelofamodernmajorgeneral said...

Try again:

[url]https://picasaweb.google.com/100610879914482201314/Standards?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN6J-qbPq_PfgAE&feat=directlink[/url]

I could just cope with polished shoes to be honest. And yes, I already those pictures on my phone, I'm sad like that!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space