Friday, 26 February 2010

In which this first is a real first

It was with some slight trepidation that I made my way to a great little Fitzrovia bar for my first date with Sports Nut – partly because the all-day drizzle had done horrible things to my hair, and partly because I haven’t been on a good date in far longer than I care to admit to. But once I arrived to find a gratifyingly attractive man sitting at the bar, my misgivings faded away and I settled into enjoying my evening.

A glass of wine later, and the conversation was flowing. We ordered tapas, and tried to swat away an over-attentive waitress as we talked about almost as much as it’s possible to cover on a first date – family, friends, jobs, education, life passions, travelling, even exes which, as all single types know, is a topic that’s inadvisable to discuss whilst in the early stages of dating, but somehow it seemed okay; even his double-take having thought he'd seen his most recent one didn't cause too much panic.

And, just as I had relaxed into my comfort zone (otherwise known as the bottom of a second glass of red), Sports Nut hit me with the information I’d been dreading: he’d read the blog.

“Well, er, I do have an advantage here, I suppose. I’ve read your '99 things',” he said, smiling as I apparently pulled a face. “Don’t worry – it was interesting. And there’s nothing too incriminating in there...” He topped up my wine. My heart fell slightly, but if he’d read any of the rest then he was well-mannered enough not to let on.

I haven't had a good first date in a vastly long time, so it is possible that my frame of reference is skewed. But I don’t think so. The date was good. Not in a long time have I met someone new whom I click with so effortlessly. I checked explicitly that Sports Nut’s single and not interested in boys - with my track record, one never can be too careful. The fact that he is witty, charming, and rather easy on the eye was just the icing on the date.

We nibbled, drank and chat for as long as we could get away with before we were chucked out in the charming table-turning way that London has.

“I, er... Do you have time for another?” Sports Nut said as we drained the last of our wine. “I don’t quite feel like wrapping up just yet.”

Leaning over to look at his watch (a bonus of not wearing one’s own), I nodded. “Absolutely.”

A short while later, we found ourselves in another location, where I was on the caiprinhas, and Sports Nut was busy teaching the staff how to mix his perfect drink.

I’ve been drinking long enough to know that I should have quit whilst I was ahead. As it was, the amount of booze I’d consumed, combined with Sport Nut’s charisma, was enough to make me lose any sense of social propriety: by the end of the night, he and I were snogging like teenagers. In public.

Embarrassing? Yes. Uncool? Yes. Hot? Absolutely.

13 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

Fantastic! Sounds v exciting - any news of a second date yet?

Blue soup said...

I love it when desire to snog gets the better of yuo in public - usually means you're itching for a kissing and it's often great kissing as a result.

I spent last night snogging in a pub. I'm cringing thinking about people thinking "god, get a room".

Second date?

Blonde said...

BS: Oh, don't get me wrong: the kissing was good. It was just *very* public. Yikes. Oh, and you and TNMA: Carts and horses. A good first was surprise enough.

Lewis William said...

Sounds like a good night! What most impresses me is that you can still be candid despite the likelihood of his reading. I think that's amazing and far braver than I could be.

Blonde said...

LW: It was an excellent night. Of course, SN does have right of reply here if he thinks anything I've said is deeply inaccurate...

The Happiness Project London said...

oh god yeah got to love public snogging. As long as its not on the tube in the morning then it's perfectly acceptable...

Sasha @ The Happiness Project London

Emily said...

I'm so happy for you! Sounds like the blog was a non-issue (sigh of relief) and that the whole date was a fun success. Can't wait for the next installment.

janegoth said...

Yay! A good first date is a wonderful thing. Snogging in public also has its merits too.

Zstep said...

Kissing in public is one thing, gratuitous spit swapping is another.

Shame. Shame.

And no, I am not bitter that my 73% prediction was incorrect. Not at all...

One question: has he agreed to not read your blog during the period that you are seeing each other? Surely this will mean significant editing if not?

Helena Halme said...

I love snogging in public. It took me a long time to teach the Englishman to the European ways, but after 25 years he now sometimes even takes the initiative. Go girl!

Helena xx

PS. Although perhaps not am in the tube, I agree with Sasha there.

P said...

Aha, that whole snogging in public thing happened to me on the last date I was on. It was great fun!

Good luck with this guy! :)

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Sounds like a great night. Good for you! xx

grandad says said...

Exciting. Can't wait. Glad you're back.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space