Tuesday, 12 January 2010

In which a catch up with an old flame is less fiery than anticipated

In my frenzied social dash round Edinburgh at Hogmanay, one of the people with whom I whiled away an afternoon in the pub was Minor Celebrity. Despite not having seen him since our blazing row, we’ve kept in contact and a proper non-phone catch up was long overdue.

Curled into the corner of a sofa with my New Year’s Day sparkling water (a lone non-alcoholic hiatus between champagne at Gin Operated’s, and a night subsequently spent on the on-tap prosecco at the Hotel Missoni), I was pleasantly surprised as he blew in through the door looking hungover but well.

Our catch up was all-encompassing, and some of our individual snippets of news were surprisingly similar: house buying (albeit with MC being on a rather higher rung than I am); journo bashing (me: X? Oh, he’s a c***. Him: I know, I've just sued his paper); and generally being exceptionally busy. Gladdened that he’s found something to do other than powder his nose, I listened eagerly to details of a new project that not only appears to be genuinely exciting him, it also seems to be filling MC’s time, and keeping him out of trouble, if not the papers.

“Seriously,” he said, “it’s not as bad when I’m up here, but there was this photo the other day. I was with a friend, I’ve known her for bloody years, y’know, and suddenly she’s my girlfriend. It’s so bloody boring. Oh, and then there was...”

He went through several recent tabloid appearances which, being in PR, I feel I should probably have spotted, but will claim illness as an excuse for not having done so.

“So what’s the score on that front, then?” I said. “Not tempted to settle down with a nice girl and get married and have lots of babies?!” I laughed at the ridiculous notion, expecting him to do the same.

MC stared into his pint. “Yeah, I am. I’d love that. I just... I just can’t find the girl, y’know.”

For a moment, there was an uneasy pause, and I was suddenly very aware once again that, in so many ways, fame can be the very worst thing that can happen to a person.

“Oh, you’ll find her,” I hit him gently on the arm. “Although maybe you shouldn’t look too hard. I mean, let’s face it: you’ve made some pretty terrible decisions in that department.” I grinned at him.

“Hah! Yeah, I have,” he laughed. “Ah well, here’s to better decisions this year.”

Something with which I wholeheartedly agree.

8 comments:

nuttycow said...

Glad you had a good time over the hols.

Am now wracking my brains as to who MC is. Any clues forthcoming?

jman said...

just think if MC was simply NE (non entity) no one would be pressing you for his identity. We are all voyeurs at heart it would appear. I don't really care who MC is but am curious as to how old he is only because he is now in settling down mode. If he is 35 this is not such a surprise whereas if he is 24 it might be much more so.

Blonde said...

NC: Ta muchly. No clues, I'm afraid, though the topic was much discussed previously - there were a whole raft of incorrect guesses somewhere back in 2007, I think...

Jman: Indeed, but then the whole catch up, and indeed dalliance, would have been vastly different. And the age is irrelevant: the settling mode would be a surprise at any age, once you know the chap.

Emily said...

I'm always curious when a man says he's ready for marriage and children. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I wonder why, or rather, what it is they're really wanting. Perhaps he's sincere, in which case I wish him luck in finding someone to share his life with.

pinkjellybaby said...

Everyone seems to be pinning a lot of hope on this year! I hope it doesn't disappoint.

P said...

I'm hoping 2010 is going to be the ULTIMATE In good years. Until next year that is.

I want to know who MC is too!

Cat said...

Ah, I love that I know who MC is. But don't worry, no clues from me either.

Lynx said...

After extensive investigation I can exclusively reveal that MC is John Barrowman. Or Gordon Brown. Or maybe Jedward.

You don't think he was trying to hint that you could be "the girl" do you?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space