Tuesday, 28 October 2008

In which I misplace my concentration...

The evening had started so well. A bottle of red, some olives and barely any inappropriate chat or tactility in our much-frequented after-work wine bar. Then Speckled Lad and I made our way, well behaved and without arms round each other, to an equally frequently frequented trattoria for dinner. We chatted to a friendly older couple whilst we waited for a table, and took our time over food, wine and slight, but not outrageous, flirtation. All good.

We were clearly taking rather a lot of time, as merely halfway through orrechiette gamberoni, the older couple came over on their way out.

“You two are so just so lovely.” The woman patted me on the shoulder as they walked towards the door. “Do have a lovely, lovely life together.”

Awkward.

Knowing the extent to which the Lad and I actually talk about our relationship, I was all ready to smile and brush past the moment as if nothing had happened. And then SL did the unexpected - he acknowledged it.

“Well, we obviously look like a couple. Not the first time that’s happened.” He smiled at me.

I giggled nervously. “No, I suppose not.”

“I get it at home, too.” I looked at him. “‘Blonde rang’, ‘how’s Blonde?’ ‘so, when do we get to meet Blonde?’” He took a mouthful of pizza.

I looked at him, racking my brain and concluding that this is the closest SL and I have ever come to mutually admitting we might not be Just Good Friends.

Further into dinner, once he’d suggested we go to the coast for a weekend to meet his parents, there was a small foray into the subject of relationships, and how his next one was going to be “It.

Perhaps, then, it’s not really a surprise that when SL walked me to the tube and kissed me with such immense fervour and intensity, I could do nothing but melt into him, unable to think about anything other than the man whose hands pulled me so close to him that I could feel his heart. And perhaps not a surprise that once he’d conceded my lips, it was inevitable that we weren’t going home separately. But, for the first time, there was a brief discussion about going home together. There was no sign of the in vino veritas that’s categorised the other nights we’ve spent together as we calmly wondered aloud whether it was a good idea.

“Probably not.” I looked at him. He looked quizzically back at me. “But let’s face it - we’re going to do it anyway…”

SL smiled in that way he has that makes my world spin, and we made our way down the escalator, kissing all the while like a pair of luststruck teenagers.

The clarity leant an entirely different feel to the journey home; his caresses of my fingers more tender, the kisses more deliberate. It was also the first time that SL and I have found ourselves in the situation where ending up in bed together is a decision we’ve made, rather than a temptation we’ve failed to resist.

As I said: it started so well. And, if I'm honest, the rest of it was pretty hot, too. It's what comes next that concerns me.

14 comments:

fwengebola said...

This is all very good, isn't it? So much more fun when you haven't got a fucking clue how it's all going to turn out. I vaguely remember those days.

trisha said...

so could there be a Mrs Blonde Speckled Lad?

As SL said his next relationship will be "IT" and there is the "meeting of the parents"

skcitygirl said...

hmm what a lovely post. i can't wait to hear more!

Blue soup said...

This has put me in a great mood for the day! I am rather jealous too.

There is no point worrying about it and what happens next. You're just going to have to live it, however it turns out. It might not actually be bad!

rosiewishes. said...

Jealous!

REALLY trying not to treat your blog like it's a new Channel 4 series but... Where is E4's First Look when you need it?? What happens next?!

Loth said...

On tenterhooks up here......

Mrs. Chaucer's Pirate said...

Fan-fucking-tastic. This made me look back on the courtship with the Pirate. It was wonderful, and it just keeps getting better and better. Keep us posted! I want to know how it goes with The Parents!

nuttycow said...

Yay to love.

Tell me more, tell me more. (I realise I sound a bit like a song out of Grease here!)

Blonde said...

Fwengebola: That's an (uncharacteristically) optimistic way of looking at things!

Trisha: Woah! Let's hold our horses. Seriously.

SKcitygirl: Heh. Me neither. If you get any sneak previews, let me know.

Blue Soup: Glad to be of service! Here's hoping it's not all bad.

Rosiewishes: Seriously - if you do get hold of what goes on, drop me an email. Because I sure as hell don't know.

Loth: I assure you, that makes two of us.

Mrs CP: Erk. I don't know that The Parents are a wise idea...

Nuttycow: Take the L-word back please. Now. ;)

richie said...

Beautifully written Hannah. Captivating.

Mrs. Chaucer's Pirate said...

Oh go on. Let the horses our of the corral. Hold your nose, close your eyes, and jump in laughing. Love like you've got absolutely nothing to lose; it's the only way to do it.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Ohhh reading this reminds me of those lovely times where everything's so exciting and scary at the same time. enjoy it x

Or, as the word verification for this comment says "binge"

Ha!

Emily said...

Enjoy!

Semaphore said...

OOoh. This post is beautiful. It's made me all warm inside. Is it bad that I'm totally rooting for you guys? I know there's all this baggage and he's a bit - well, fidelitily challenged. But you just seem RIGHT for each other right now. Maybe not right for each other in the long run, but we don't live in the long run, we live in the here and now. Live a little.

EXCITED FOR YOU.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space